This exciting bi-annual challenge is open to teams of students studying at UK universities. The event is organised by the Society of Maritime Industries. Each qualifying team is provided with an industry simulator to enable them to build the autonomous behaviours required to achieve a series of challenges. These will be carried out using a 2m catamaran that has been specially designed, built and equipped for MAChallenge – a cash prize of £2000 awaits the winning team. Our aim is to bring on the next generation of marine technologists and to encourage development and take-up of marine autonomous systems technologies in the UK.
The aim of the challenge is:
- Focussed on autonomy (not platforms)
- To get students thinking about how autonomy might address the problem of plastics in the ocean
- To stretch the knowledge of the students and promote creative thinking
- Encourage team working through a variety of individual skills
- Connect the brightest young talent coming through the UK’s universities with the UK’s MAS Industry.